We are now closed to the general public for the season. We remain open for pre-booked school programs only. We will re-open to the public on May 18, 2024.
Built 1929, Depicts 1930
A two-room school from the townsite of Morecambe, this school represents a shift from the rural one-room schools to a more modern era of schooling in east central Alberta. As the population of the region grew, and as more townsites were established, larger schools were required. At the same time, there was a shift in the education system as a whole, with new programs of study and professionalized teaching methods brought to rural areas.
The junior classroom to the right of the main entrance housed students in grades 1 to 4 and the senior classroom to the left for students in grades 5 to 11. The makeup of these rooms could change year to year depending on the student enrollment.
The teachers at Morecambe School in 1929-30 all attended Normal School. Normal Schools were teacher training colleges in Calgary, Camrose, and Edmonton where students could earn teaching certificates. Normal Schools contributed to the professionalization of teaching and education in Alberta. In addition, the career of teaching represented an opportunity for upward social mobility for young Ukrainian-Canadians.